What do I do after a fire?
A fire can be devastating for your home or business and getting started on the restoration process can be truly overwhelming. Your property may have suffered fire and smoke damage, as well as widespread water damage and flooding from firefighting efforts. With SERVPRO of Milton/Braintree's specialized fire and water damage restoration experience, we can help get your home or business cleaned up and restored to its pre-fire condition.
What to do after a fire:
- Secure openings made to your property by firefighters using sturdy, durable materials designed to protect your home from both weather intrusion and intrusion by outsiders.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls, and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery, and carpet traffic areas.
- If the electricity is off, empty the freezer and refrigerator and prop the doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with a light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of the leaves.
Determine the Type of Cleaning Needed
Before starting the cleanup process it's extremely helpful to know what type of fire damage has occurred. There are different types of fire, smoke, and soot and each requires a different cleanup method to best restore your property. Prior to beginning the restoration process, our professional technicians will test the soot to help determine which type of smoke damage occurred and will design the cleanup procedure based on that information.
The Different Types of Fire/Smoke/Soot Can Include:
- Wet Smoke – Usually from Plastics and Synthetics
- Occurs from Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary.
- Dry Smoke – Produced from Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, dry, powdery, non-smeary residues.
- Protein Fire Residue – Produced by the evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
- Fuel Oil Soot – Furnace Puff Backs
- Other Types – Tear gas, fingerprint powder and fire extinguisher residue.
SERVPRO of Milton/Braintree has what it takes to restore your home back to preloss condition. Let us help you make it “Like it never even happened”.